I often get asked, “Which essential oils are aphrodisiacs?” The answer is, “It depends.”
Because each one of us is unique, we each have different responses to essential oils…and different intimacy needs.
That said, there are some great “go to” oils for different aspects of intimacy:
For general relaxation, try my old favorite and all-purpose oil, lavender. With high percentages of linalool, lavender calms the nervous system and can help de-stress. Many other oils are relaxing, as well, including the earthy oils listed below. Lavender, however, blends well with many oils and is a great place to start.
Next, the senses can be awakened in several ways:
- Beautiful florals, such as neroli, rock rose and ylang ylang.
- Earthy, grounded scents, like those from vetiver and sandalwood.
- Stimulating conifers, like white pine, black spruce, and balsam fir.
- Tingly mints, like cornmint and spearmint.
- Bright citruses, like sweet orange and distilled lime.
Lastly, you’ll want the right blend. How can you get it right? Like with intimate play: experimentation and practice!
Of course, there are some blending best practices to keep in mind:
- For a balanced blend, try to include base, middle, and top notes.
- Dilute your oils in a carrier, such as an organic jojoba. Do not apply essential oils directly to the skin unless you are trained in their safe use.
- Keep your dilution at 1-3% (5-12 drops per ounce of carrier oil).
In the end, blending should be fun! So, enjoy yourself and mix up that love potion!
PATRICK’S LOVE RECIPE #37
- 1 oz organic jojoba
- 2 drops sandalwood (base note)
- 2 drops vetiver (base note)
- 2 drop lavender (middle note)
- 1 drop neroli (middle note)
- 2 drops sweet orange (top note)
Use as a luxurious massage oil or omit the jojoba and use in a diffuser to fill the room with your potion. (Note: essential oils should not be used as or part of personal lubricants.)